The below information is applicable to all UMN campuses.
Getting an updated U Card
Once you have updated your preferred name in MyU or received confirmation of your legal name change from administration, wait 24 hours, then come into the U Card Office to get a replacement U Card. You must bring an approved government-issued ID and your old U Card.
Changing your name
Changing your legal name
- Staff and Faculty – Human Resources has a guide you should follow to update your legal name, located here. You must return your previous U Card to receive a free replacement card.
- Students – Legal name change needs to be properly updated with OneStop Student Services 24 hours before coming to the U Card Office. You must return your previous U Card to receive a free replacement card. Update your legal name by filling out the Legal Name and/or Gender (Sex) from One Stop and return it, along with the required documentation, to the address listed on the form.
Changing your preferred name
When changing for gender affirmation
Gender and Sexuality Center for Queer and Trans Life can be contacted if students have a financial burden that prevents them from having the ability to pay the replacement fee.
Preferred name change guide
- Log into MyU and select the My Info tab.
- Select the Edit button next to your name. The name in this example is “University Student.”
- Click the Add a New Name button in the pop-up box.
- Select the name type you would like to set.
- Enter the name as you would like it to appear. You may also change the date it takes effect.
- Click the Save button. You will see your preferred name within MyU