Replacement U Cards

If you are currently eligible for a U Card, you may get a replacement card at either of the Twin Cities U Card Offices. A replacement fee of $30 will apply if your card was printed in the last 5 years.


  1. Deactivate your existing U Card on our website
  2. Come to one of our two office locations to get a replacement. Be sure to bring an accepted ID!
    • A new photo will be required if your photo is more than 6 months old.
    • Replacement cards are not eligible for photo upload.

After replacing a card

  • Any door access you had managed by the University's central system will return within 4 hours
  • If you have a parking contract, it will return at 7am the next day. To come/go until that time, press the call button near the exits of gated ramps or parking areas
  • The Universal Transit Pass (students only) will need to be reactivated. Wait until the next business day, then tap your card at a light rail station to reactivate.

Payments and fees

  • There is a $30 replacement fee for cards less than 5 years old
  • Departments can pay for their employee's replacement U Card by emailing [email protected]

Waiving the replacement fee

We will waive your replacement fee if:

  • Your U Card was stolen and you can provide us with a police report number
  • Your U Card is 5+ years old
  • Your U Card’s smart chip fails (undamaged cards only)
  • You have had a legal name change

Name changes

Information about replacement U Cards needed after a name change is available in our help center name change article